Loving natural products, I try to avoid artificial substances at all costs. One of these is vanillin.
This is why, when a recipe calls for vanilla, I always use vanilla beans or pure vanilla extract.
I know that when you try this homemade Vanilla Extract and see how fragrant and intense it is you’ll never go back to the synthetic one. Especially because making it with your own hands will create a unique product that you won’t be able to do without!
You’ll feel like a wizard making a potion.
The Madagascar Vanilla Love Potion.
Serving: 200 ml
4 vanilla pods
200 ml vodka (40% alcohol)
A pinch of patience ^_^
1. Sterilize a jar or a glass bottle (possibly dark glass), dry it well. Take the vanilla pods (make sure they are luscious, shiny, soft and rich), slice the beans in half right down the middle. Use the back of a knife to scrape out the vanilla seeds. Put them into the bottle and fill it with Vodka. Cut pods in small pieces and add them to the bottle.
2. Close it and shake well to get the vanilla to swirl and dance with the alcohol.
3. Let the magic begin!
– I didn’t mention the last ingredient: pinch of Patience, but now comes into play because the homemade vanilla extract has to rest in a cool, dry, dark place for at least 6 months. I know it sounds never-ending but it´ll be worth it, trust me! However there is good news. You can start using it after 2/3 months, although the real flavour will be more intense later on.
– Don’t worry if you do not find a dark glass bottle. You can use a clear glass one and wrap it in a brown paper bag before putting it away.
– For the best results, shake the bottle once a day for the first couple of weeks after that once in a while (when you remember ) will be fine.